Thursday 31 January 2013

The dork goes backpacking in Siem Reap, Cambodia


FIRST STOP

First stop in our Southeast Asian jaunt is.... Siem Reap Cambodia!!!! Just when I thought I've seen it all (in blogs), it continued to surprise me by the minute. It was far more amazing, awe-inspiring, and picturesque in fleeeesh. No wonder why it is swarmed with tourists and why many backpackers are passionately  in love with Cambodia drawing them for more. There is so much more about Siem Reap, Cambodia outside its temples ruins.  

We planned and waited for 4 grueling months to make this backpacking trip happen, and arriving in Siem Reap was no disappointment. From start to end, it has been nothing but an awakening to live not just a happy life, but a meaningful one. What a single person, rich or poor, can do to make a difference. How far a smile can go, and how many daily miracles we witness every single day. 



Prior to setting foot in Cambodia, I've set unimaginably high standards of Cambodia. Still, it managed to exceed my dorky, adventure junkie, imagination. Enough to eat the fun out of Vietnam, and Bangkok. Just because it was too beautiful, and the people were too nice enough to bore  holes in our pockets giving tips for every nice Cambodian.

Set bias aside, Siem Reap offered the kind of adventure this dork was lurking out for. I must shamefully admit though that we were trekking a touristy route. With only two days spent in Siem Reap, it was only enough for us to go temple hopping. In between jaw drops, and amusement, I enjoyed the company of the wonderful locals of which I am yet to elaborate in my further post. hehe :)

What is it like backpacking in Siem Reap, Cambodia?

It's beauty, and warmth was beyond any word synonymous to adventure combined. The  real beauty of Cambodia lies in its culture. They've embraced their culture, untapped by modernization. From the airport, down to fancy hotels, with Khmer Architecture at its finest.

What I didn't expect is the lush of greenery and it's abundance alongside with breeze of fresh air. It's practically picnic friendly everywhere! :) I sighed , "Hmp. Perfect nook for couples! Selfish!" hahaha But hey that's just me, being ME! :) haha What's even mooore amazing is how clean it is in Cambodia despite being waaay waaay less progressive than us. It brings me to conclude that the only trash they consider in Cambodia is the dry leaves which are patiently raked everyday. OC right?  hahaha Humongous man made lakes are aplenty, but is maintained squeaky clean. I could not help but wish for my fellow Filipinos to develop sense of responsibility for our environment. 


Will I fly back to Siem Reap, Cambodia again?

Most certainly. I'll probably stay there a bit longer and probably bring someone to go on a picnic and be chummy chummy with. hahaha Kidding! Siem Reap, has this relaxed, lazy kind of feel. The kind that makes you want to just eat all day, meet locals, and other tourists. Siem Reap is a small city bursting with soulful food, promising restaurants, and the best people you will never be able to see again. True enough, the real gem of Cambodia is it's culture. 

I'd probably see the temples again if given the moolah to go back. I don't think anyone will ever grow tired of seeing these thousand year old temples. So much passion for craftsmanship is deliberately poured over every carving. 

I'll soon post my "10 things to love about Siem Reap" and "Cambodia 101" in the coming days! :) While I'm still trying to regain my blogging mojo. hahaha


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share to compare! :)