Thursday 3 January 2013

HONG KONG 101




Heya people. This could be a tad bit too late, but my Hong Kong hangover isn't over, and I'm not done divulging about it quite yet. =p My family and I are planning our trip to HK and I can't hold my giggles!!! :) To see the kids' big doll eyes in awe of Disneyland? PRICELESS. I'm going back to Hong Kong!!!! 11 months to go, too early for a countdown? Yes? The preparations and excitement is getting all too familiar therefore brings me back to my HK memories.

I could stay for a week in Hong Kong do nothing but shopping, and some massive chopsticks action a.k.a pig out chinese style. Hiyaaa! The retail variety is so extensive, enough for me to make a separate post about it. There are however still quite a number of things to enjoy in Hong Kong for non shopaholics, aka normal people. But before I keep beating around the bush, here are things you ought to know for Hong Kong first timers, and desperate returnees like me! Going over travel forums can be quite daunting, but here are the basic things you need to know, and a couple of hits and misses.

  • The first thing you need to purchase before anything else is the ever so convenient, octopus cards. It works like a debit card that pays for train tickets, 7 eleven purchases, bus fares, pretty much everywhere. Mr. President, can we have this? pretty please? You need to load it with atleast 100HKD and another 50HKD for deposit. 
  • 1HKD= P6 approximately.
  • It is better to have your money converted to USD first, then convert it to HKD in Hong Kong. DO NOT convert your Pesos directly to HKD.
  • Indians give better exchange rates outside the airports, and outside malls.
  • When using walkalators and escalators, stay on the right side. Left side is designed for people who are in a rush. And trust me when I tell you, they are fast paced people. 
  • It's best to order food by pointing on pictures. Even broken English still can't send the message across. But hey, it's part of the adventure! :)
  • Best time to visit Hong Kong is Dec-Mar.

ESTIMATED POCKET MONEY:                            

50hkd meal X number of days
150HKD for transportation
Ngong Ping Cable Roundtrip = 115HKD Adults, 58HKD Kids
Ocean Park = 280HKD Adults, 140HKD Kids
Disneyland = 399HKD Adults, 285HKD Kids
Peak Tram = 28HKD Single 40HKD Return for Adults | 11HKD Single 18HKD Return for Kids
Macau Ferry 175HKD/way



To put it more simply, your pocket money depends on how you plan to spend your day.  You can dedicate one whole day for Macau Tour, Disneyland, and Ocean Park. You must however, spend a day exploring the city, than dwell so much on theme parks. It is very important that you have a budget itinerary prepared so you know how much of your budget is allotted for shopping. 


Places yadawntwannamiss!


1. The Peak - Best seen at sunset

2. Ocean Park

3. Disneyland

4. Lantau Island
5. Tsim Sha Tsui District
6. Causeway Bay and Mongkok District
7. Tsim Sha Tsui Waterfront (Avenue of Stars)
8. Ngong Pin Village (Giant Buddha)

9. Central 
10. Lan Kwai Fong

Top 5 things to do:
  1. Eat Street food, street dimsum
  2. Ride the Star Ferry for 2HKD
  3. Buy electronics
  4. Take the Peak tram
  5. People Watching

Cannot wait to kick my ass back to Hong Kong! :-) Think I'll add to my bucket list to fly to Hong Kong at least once a year for the rest of my life? What do you think? :)

What's that one place you wish you can go back to at least once a year for the rest of you life? :) Tell me about it! 

2 comments:

  1. THE BEST PART OF MY HONGKONG TRIP IS RIDING THE STAR FERRY AT NIGHT! :D IT WAS AWESOME! AWESOME JUST BECAUSE THE STAR FERRY RIDE ISNT INCLUDED IN OUR TOUR ITI SO WE RODE THE FERRY OURSEELVES! :P NICE PHOTOS BY THE WAY... AND OHH ITS MY FIRST TIME HERE IN YOUR BLOG. WILL NOW BE YOUR FOLLOWER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hongkong's one of those places that I wasn't too crazy about prior to visiting, but I must say, this SAR was a pleasant surprise. I'd love to come back too, hopefully to bring our daughter to Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share to compare! :)