Thursday 22 November 2012

An open letter to a 54 y/o, grumpy old man-- my dad.




An open letter to a 54 y/o, grumpy old man-- my dad.
Daddy,
Hi, Dad. This is your "bunso" writing you a love letter. Something I wish I could have done, at least a day before today. I must admit though, that I am in complete denial that this is all but a bad dream that I'll wake up to with your 80's music that you injected with oppa gangnam style just because Marikit danced to it everytime she hears it.


My fondest memory of you, is you teaching me how to plant, but some rot of luck, I never seemed to inherit your green thumb nor your notorious mathematical skills. We'd plant our sitaw, eggplants, tomato, only to watch the typhoon wash them away but you never seemed to be upset. We'd even sit for hours and wait for your chickens to lay eggs, till mom gets home, and prepares dinner for us. I may not have playmates growing up, but God blessed me with a dad who taught me how to swim, plant, and love in silence.

It hurts dad. As much as we are willing to let you go, a part of me continues to break as we draw nearer to your last day. I want to hug you so tight enough to tell you how much I love you. I love you dad, wish I told you everyday. 

You got us blown away. You were as sturdy as a tree,  smoking 3 packs of cigarette per day.  Spending half of your day working, and the rest, talking to Mom. You lived a life so simple, and contented. Dad, we know you peaked in our doors while we were asleep. It meant so much to me, more than anything. It says more than a hundred i love you's in any language. 

Memories are vivid, and the pain is throwing solid punches at me. Everything seems too real, it pains me to see you go. But today, we celebrate the life you lived. Out of the many things I like about you is how much you loved Mommy. You loved her so much, despite her flaws, and shortcomings. I adore the husband in you, more than you know. Hoping and praying, I'd meet someone as patient, and as loving as you. If I do, which I hope I will, it's very unfortunate that you won't be there to walk me down the aisle and see me happy, finally. But I know, you'll be holding  my hand every step of the way.

The grumpy old man, unknown to many, is a kengkoy dad. I'll make sure his apo's will read about how awesome-cool their lolo is. 
Daddy: Jed, san ka ppunta!?!?!
Kuya: Sisimba... 
Daddy: Baket?!!

Daddy: Jed bigay mo sakin ang taba (ngbaboy)
Mommy: Para kay Tyra (dog) yan! 
Daddy: Aw aw! Aw aw!

Daddy:  Ma! TV!!!!
Mommy: Ha, ano ba un?
(Yun pala nahihiya shang tawagin si mommy na "Please be careful with my heart" na. 

Mommy: Ala, bkt ba lagi nyo gusto pmunta don?
Daddy: Di ka kasi beach girl eh! 

I wish I didn't wait until today to tell you how much I love you. I wished for you to live long enough to hear about my travel adventures. I wish you lived longer to see your apo's growing up, as you spoil them. So many regrets, but I'm thankful you never struggled, and you lived your last days very happy. 

I love you Dad, I'll make you proud. One day, someday.

P.S
Kaw ha Dad ha, ako pala favorite mong anak! Binuking ka sakin! :)

Love, Bunso



5 comments:

  1. aaww. =(

    Daddy: Jed, san ka ppunta!?!?!
    Kuya: Sisimba...
    Daddy: Baket?!!

    winner to!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got teary eyed reading this. As a tribute to Dad's like me, can I share this to my friends?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share to compare! :)