Tuesday 20 November 2012

How to save for your travel fund?


Almost always, people make the mistake of thinking I have loads and loads of cash to burn like an rk to fund my (future) travels. To be honest, I don't. My source of fund is limited neither do my savings multiply on it's own like kisses when you put alcohol.(Or was that a myth?)



"I don't have money" That is by far the most scratched excuse not to travel. Please don't tell me you don't have money when you're in Starbucks at least twice a week, and you've been shopping every pay day. Don't buy yourself that cheap excuse, and sacrifice things that you can do without.



"I don't have the time" Combined your VL's with your sick leave and rest days, and tell me you don't have the time. Don't shut the door of opportunity before it's even open. Don't wait till you're married with kids, and miss the chance to explore with your girlfriends. Don't wait for you to guess the right lotto combination that will magically transport you to Hong Kong or wherever. Do it while you're young, and not wild, but free.



It sure isn't easy. It takes a lot of practice, patience, and will power to pull off this strategic way to save. Nothing worth it, comes easy. As much as happiness is the consequence of our efforts to be happy. 





How do I do it you ask? 




1) I live by the saying "It's not how much you earn It's how much you save". Small purchases add to a big amount, so it doesn't matter if it's as cheap as P50. 

2) I leave the house without cash. ZERO. Not unless I have a dinner planned with friends or something. Hence, I can only spend P100 whenever I'm out, so I don't end up spending more than I should. Luckily, there is a place in Lipa called TBX where they serve buffalo wings that fit my budget perfectly at P65! :) And yes, may sukli pa! :D 

3) Packed lunch, is awesome lunch! It goes without saying my mom is the best cook in the world! :) It's another perfect reason to stir away from my Jollibee addiction!!!! *drools*

4) Add another source of living. Online jobs, and part time jobs are rampant these days, do every sideline and save enough to purchase a ticket! I'm now officially juggling three jobs, although I'm still finding my rhythm in between jobs and injecting my social life. You'll be surprised with the number of things you'll learn on saving, budgeting, and oh patience too!

5) Open 2-3 bank accounts so you can manage your savings efficiently. One for your daily expenses, 2nd, for your savings for your travel fund, and lastly an account to place your savings for your big trip!

EXAMPLE:
Account #1: Producers Bank- This is where all my earnings from Tipid Travels, and Photocopying machine goes. Which I'll be using primarily for my Indochina jaunt on January.

Account #2: Metrobank - My salary from Somethin' Big is deposited here directly. Thank goodness it isn't a debit card, and Metrobank here in Lipa, isn't as accessible as the rest. This is what I use to pay for my other expenses too, like my camera, daily gasoline consumption, car registration, and change oil.

Account #3: BDO (This I am yet to open) All my earnings from my other "rakets" (Trust me, I have a lot), is automatically deposited here by the company I just joined in. Hoping  that with my combined effort, I'll save and earn enough to fund my *fingerscrossed* US trip. 

6) When going on a mini vacation (ek getaway), set a budget so you only have a set amount of money for your food, accommodation, and no room for unnecessary expenses.

7) Quit the Starbucks habit! I've given up my  Sunday caffeine fix, and replaced it with activities that don't call for a lot of spending. In my case, I replaced it with washing my own car day, walking the dog day, or if I'm lucky, fun family day with my cutiepatootie pamangkins!!!!! :)


8) Book your flights early, and bag promo fares!!! I purchase my tickets ahead of time, and by doing so I buy myself a lot of time to save for everything else.

9) Travel with your family. More often than not, they will pay for your fare, food, and hotel too! Although the sense of fulfillment isn't as blissful as funding your own. Hence, I wouldn't mind tagging along my adorable pamangkin to Disneyland in exchange for a chance to go back to HK for fureee. :D 

10) DELAYED GRATIFICATION. I used to reward myself a piece/s of clothing every payday, but I haven't bought anything for more than a month now. I'll divulge on shopping in Bangkok, the shopping mecca of the univeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerse! :D 

How do you save for your trip? Let me hear about it! :)

2 comments:

  1. agree! specially that "you create your own opportunity."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chyng, can I ust say I loooove your blog muna? (= Yes, to travel! hehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share to compare! :)